History gives you an understanding of past events, ranging from ancient times to modern day.
Whilst studying history you learn the skills to be able to take in large amounts of written or visual information and analyse how and why things happened, whilst developing excellent written communication skills.
Regarded as a 'facilitating subject' by many universities, history is often studied alongside sociology, psychology, business, English and economics.
History can lead on to a large range of careers from law, politics and business through to creative media, journalism, broadcasting and tourism management.
Selection of jobs using the subject History
- Antique dealer
- Art gallery curator
- Broadcast journalist
- Civil Service administrative officer
- Editorial assistant
- Heritage officer
- Land and property valuer and auctioneer
- Museum curator
- Patent attorney
- Public relations officer
- Secondary school teacher
- Tourist guide
- Web content manager
Explore more jobs related to history
Check out more than 800 other job profiles, the above list is just a selection of jobs where a love of history could take you, there will be loads more!
Examples of apprenticeships that relate to history:
- Cultural Learning and Development Officer - Level: 3 (equivalent to A levels grades A to E). Typical length: 15 months
- Cultural Heritage Conservation Technician - Level: 4 (equivalent to certificate of higher education). Typical length: 24 months
- Junior Journalist - Level:3 (equivalent to A levels at grades A to E). Typical length: 18 months
- Library, Information and Archive services assistant - Level:3 (equivalent to A levels at grades A to E). Typical length: 18 months
Click to find apprenticeship vacancies available now related to history
Watch a short film on History apprenticeships here.
Examples of degree courses that relate to history:
If you love this subject and want to take it forward, what else can you do right now?
Watch related videos
You can watch some great videos with history students on Careerpilot and can see where your favourite subject can take you at BBC Bitesize website.
Do a free, short, online course to find out more about history (looks great on your CV too!)
Or view other free online courses in history