Computer studies develops understanding of both computer programming and theory. You will study the key aspects of programming, data structures, algorithms, program design and how computer programs work in a range of contexts.
Computer studies will help you develop useful skills like logical planning, maths skills, programming and other technical skills.
It gives you knowledge and skills which are relevant to hundreds of different types of cutting edge jobs across many industries, like cyber security, working for high-tech companies and in artificial intelligence.
Computer studies combines well with STEM subjects, maths, art and design, fashion, and music.
Selection of jobs using the subject Computing
- App developer
- Architectural technologist
- Automotive engineer
- Broadcast engineer
- Computer games developer
- Cyber intelligence officer
- Data analyst-statistician
- Data scientist
- Electronics engineer
- Head of IT (IT director)
- Information scientist
- Intelligence analyst
- Investment analyst
- IT project manager
- IT security co-ordinator
- IT service engineer
- IT support technician
- IT trainer
- Software developer
- Systems analyst
- Technical architect
- User experience (UX) designer
- Web designer
- Web developer
Explore more jobs related to Computer Studies
Check out more than 800 other job profiles, the above list is just a selection of jobs where an interest in computing could take you, there will be loads more!
Examples of apprenticeships that relate to computing:
- Software developer - Level:4 (equivalent to certificate of higher education). Typical length:24 months
- IS Business Analyst - Level:4 (equivalent to certificate of higher education). Typical length:18 months
- Digital and technology solutions professional - Level:6 (equivalent to bachelor's degree). Typical length:36 months
- IT technical salesperson - Level:3 (equivalent to A levels at grades A to E). Typical length:12 months
- Cyber intrusion analyst - Level:4 (equivalent to certificate of higher education). Typical length:24 months
- Cyber security technologist - Level:4 (equivalent to certificate of higher education). Typical length:24 months
- Junior 2D artist (visual effects) - Level:4 (equivalent to certificate of higher education). Typical length:18 months
- Engineering technician - Level: 3 (equivalent to A levels at grades A to E). Typical length: 42 months
Click to find apprenticeship vacancies available now related to computing
Watch a short film on ICT and Computing Apprenticeships here.
Examples of vocational courses related to computing
- Level 3 Computer Science National Diploma at Andover College
- Digital Computer Games Design and Development at Gloucester College
- Computing BTEC Extended Diploma, Level 3 at Weston College
- T-Level Digital Business Services
- T-Level Digital Production, Design and Development
- T-Level Digital Support Services
Examples of degree courses that relate to computing:
If you love this subject and want to take it forward, what else can you do right now?
Watch related videos
You can watch some great videos of people who are working in jobs that use Computing on Careerpilot or on the BBC Bitesize website.
Do a free, short, online course to find out more about computing (looks great on your CV too!)
Or view other free online courses related to computers.