Geography is the study of places and the relationships between people and their environments. Geographers explore both the physical properties of Earth’s surface and the human societies spread across it.
Geography is a really useful subject as the skills and knowledge you gain can be used in almost every job sector.
There are lots of geography related jobs available to deal with the consequences of climate change such as in flood risk management and environmental management.
There are practical roles working outside as a countryside ranger for the National Trust or planning sustainable transport networks for new towns. You could be using Geographical Information Systems (GIS) to plan where there is demand for a supermarket or working on a project for a charity overseas.
Selection of jobs using the subject Geography
- Air cabin crew
- Countryside ranger
- Diplomatic service officer
- Drone Pilot
- Environmental consultant
- Estates officer
- Land surveyor
- Landscape architect
- Planning and development surveyor
- Quantity surveyor
- Rural surveyor
- Secondary school teacher
- Tourist guide
- Town planner
- Transport planner
- Travel agent
Do a free, short, online course to find out more about geography (looks great on your CV too!)
- Global Studies: Risks and Threats in International Relations
- International Affairs: Globalisation
- Concepts in Sustainable Development: An Introduction to the Key Issues
Or view other free online courses related to geography
Examples of apprenticeships that relate to geography:
- Surveying technician - Level:3 (equivalent to A levels at grades A to E). Typical length:24 months
- Geospatial Survey Technician - Level:3 (equivalent to A levels at grades A to E). Typical length:24 months
- Crop Technician - Level:3 (equivalent to A levels at grades A to E). Typical length:24 months
- Geospatial Mapping and Science Degree - Level: 6 (equivalent to a bachelor's degree). Typical length: 60 months
Click to find apprenticeship vacancies available now related to geography
Examples of degree courses that relate to geography:
BBC Bitesize Career Videos
You can watch a great series of videos of young people who are working in jobs that use geography on the BBC Bitesize website.