Geography is the study of places and the relationships between people and their environments. Geographers explore both the physical properties of Earth’s surface and the human societies spread across it.
Geography is a really useful subject as the skills and knowledge you gain can be used in almost every job sector.
There are lots of geography related jobs available to deal with the consequences of climate change such as in flood risk management and environmental management.
There are practical roles working outside as a countryside ranger for the National Trust or planning sustainable transport networks for new towns. You could be using Geographical Information Systems (GIS) to plan where there is demand for a supermarket or working on a project for a charity overseas.
Selection of jobs using the subject Geography
- Cabin crew
- Climate scientist
- Community education co-ordinator
- Countryside ranger
- Data scientist
- Diplomatic Service officer
- Drone pilot
- Environmental consultant
- Estates officer
- Land surveyor
- Landscape architect
- Planning and development surveyor
- Quantity surveyor
- Rural surveyor
- Secondary school teacher
- Tourist guide
- Town planner
- Transport planner
- Travel agent
Explore more jobs related to Geography
Check out more than 800 other job profiles, the above list is just a selection of jobs where an interest in geography could take you, there will be loads more!
Examples of apprenticeships that relate to geography:
- Surveying technician - Level:3 (equivalent to A levels at grades A to E). Typical length:24 months
- Geospatial Survey Technician - Level:3 (equivalent to A levels at grades A to E). Typical length:24 months
- Crop Technician - Level:3 (equivalent to A levels at grades A to E). Typical length:24 months
- Geospatial Mapping and Science Degree - Level: 6 (equivalent to a bachelor's degree). Typical length: 60 months
Click to find apprenticeship vacancies available now related to geography
Watch a short film on Geography apprenticeships here.
Examples of vocational college courses that relate to geography
- Land and Wildlife (Conservation) – Level 2 Technical Certificate at Sparsholt College
- National Diploma Countryside Management - Level 3 at Hartpury
Examples of degree courses that relate to geography:
If you love this subject and want to take it forward, what else can you do right now?
Watch related videos
You can watch some great videos of people who are working in jobs that use geography on Careerpilot or on the BBC Bitesize website.
Do a free, short, online course to find out more about geography (looks great on your CV too!)
- Global Studies: Risks and Threats in International Relations
- Concepts in Sustainable Development: An Introduction to the Key Issues
Or view other free online courses related to geography