University Technical Colleges for 14-18 year olds
What is a University Technical College?
University Technical Colleges (UTCs) are government-funded schools that offer 14–18 year-olds both academic and technical education related to specific job sectors.
They are looking to educate the inventors, engineers, scientists and technicians of tomorrow.
A UTC offers
- access to world-class facilities and equipment used by industry
- practical work and project-based learning connected to the working world
- an opportunity to work with businesses on real-life projects
- access to placements and work experience
- a chance to learn from experts from universities
- advice on future career options.
UTCs specialise in particular subjects
- Health Sciences
- Product Design
- Digital Technologies
- Built Environment
The UTC day
To give you the time to undertake academic and technical studies the school day is longer at a UTC, typically from 8.30am to 5.00pm. This includes time for homework leaving your evenings clear for other activities.
If you are interested in a UTC
You can join a UTC in Year 10 or Year 12. Lots of UTCs hold regular open days and events and provide useful resources to give you further help and advice.