Skip to content

Money matters

Money to learn for full-time higher education courses

University even with higher fees!

It is true that students studying a higher-education course now have to pay fees between £6,000 and £9,250 a year - but you don't have to pay upfront and you only pay back when you are earning more than £26,575 per year.

So don't dismiss the idea of HE. Find out the facts and you will see that it is more affordable than you might think.

Martin Lewis's MoneySavingExpert site has lots of useful information showing how the loans are affordable 

Student Loan Calculator 

You can also use a Student Loan Calculator.

Costs of higher education include both tuition and living costs.

Tuition costs and financial support

The tuition fees will be decided by the institution offering the course - look at an institution's website to see what they plan to charge. Click here to see institutions in the South of England.

To compare the fees and other characteristics of different universities look at the Discover Uni site.

The Open University, which offers part-time distance-learning degrees, will be charging £6192 for credits equivalent to one year at a university. 

The government will lend you the money for the tuition fees and you won't have to pay anything back until you are earning more than £26,575. If you never earn more than that you NEVER pay the loan back!

Stories in the press and worries about leaving Uni with huge debts have made some young people think twice about uni but really the loan repayments are manageable.

For example.

  • If you are earning £26,000 you won't pay back anything until your annual earnings go above £26,575
  • If you are earning £31,575 you will pay back around £450 a year which is just under £40 a month - less than a night out!
  • If you are earning £36,575 you will pay back around £75 a month - which sounds like a lot but when you are earning £36,575 a year is affordable.

Your loan repayments will be automatically deducted from your earnings in the same way as income tax.

It will still be possible to pay university fees upfront in order to avoid accruing any debt. If you choose to take out a loan you can choose to pay back all or some of the loan at any time without an early repayment charge.

Another thing to consider is that more universities are starting to deliver accelerated two-year degree courses. They already exist but the plan is to introduce more. This will allow students to save on one year's worth of tuition fees and living costs, which could make a university course more affordable and desirable.

For more information:

Information on student finance and loans from or more student-friendly information can be found in the Student Room or in Save the Student

View a Student Calculator to check your eligibility for loans and grants and to work out your possible income against your possible spending.

Use the Open University's Finance Finder which can be used to indicate whether you may be eligible for any financial assistance.

View a quick start guide about finance from Student Finance England.

Student funding explained video

Loans for living costs from the government

You can also apply for a loan to cover some of your living costs such as rent, bills and food. 

You may have to give details of your household income.

The loan is paid directly into your bank account at the start of each term. You have to pay the loan back. You can use this Student Finance Calculator to see what loans you could get. It will ask about household income.

Financial support you do not have to pay back

There are also other sorts of financial support available - which you do not have to pay back.

  • Parents Learning Allowance, Childcare Grant, Adult Dependants Grant & Disabled Students Allowances - which is money for students who are also parents, and/or students who have an adult with a very low income who is financially dependent on them, and/or Disabled students on
  • Bursaries, scholarships and awards - Many universities will offer additional funding to certain target groups. This may include, for example, students from a lower-income background, care leavers or disabled students. Some universities may offer a reduction in tuition fees or possibly a free year on some courses and some universities may offer a bursary, which is a non-repayable grant. Each university will decide what support they’ll offer so you’ll need to check to see what your chosen university is offering and whether you’re eligible.

For more scholarship and bursary information:

Getting help sorting out the funding

When planning to study it is important to understand the costs and know your sources of income. You will then need to plan your budget so that you can manage financially throughout your study.

It is worth bearing in mind that a full-time higher-education course will not necessarily involve spending 5 days a week at a college or university so you might be able to work as well as study. Check what the attendance requirements are for your chosen course.

To qualify for full-time funding support you will need to make sure your intended course has full-time course status - check this with the institution.

Although financing a full-time course can seem complicated many colleges and universities have a Student Services Centre. These are a good source of information for people making enquiries about the financial support available.

Funding if you are thinking about study in Europe

Some students are now choosing this option as the fees can be lower than in the UK. Also, many courses are offered in English.

The European Funding Guide has information to help students in 16 EU countries access more than 12,000 scholarship programs and other forms of financial aid, worth a total of 27 billion Euros.

To save or view your choices and results you must sign in or register (takes 1 minute).

Sign in Register