Finance & accounting

Insurance loss adjuster

Insurance loss adjusters investigate large or complicated claims for insurance companies.

Annual Salary

£15,000 to £80,000

Average UK salary in 2018 was £29,588 (source Office for Statistics)

Working hours

30 to 40

Future employment

There will be 5% more Insurance loss adjuster jobs in 2024.
In your local area

What's it all about?

Your day-to-day duties could include:

  • visiting sites to survey damage
  • interviewing customers
  • gathering evidence, like security camera footage or police reports
  • requesting reports from specialists, like building surveyors
  • checking that policies cover losses and customers are claiming a reasonable amount
  • organising clean-up operations, or arranging building repairs
  • making further investigations if you suspect fraud
  • giving evidence in court
  • presenting reports and recommendations to insurers
  • advising claimants on how to avoid further losses


You could take a degree before applying for a place on an insurance company's graduate training scheme. Relevant degrees include:

  • business studies
  • finance
  • law
  • surveying
  • construction

It'll help to get some relevant work experience whilst you're studying, for example through an internship.

You'll usually need:

  • 2 to 3 A levels for a degree


You may be able to start by doing a higher apprenticeship for insurance professionals or a senior insurance professional degree apprenticeship.

You'll usually need:

  • 4 or 5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C) and A levels, or equivalent qualifications, for a higher or a degree apprenticeship

£15,000 to £80,000

Starter salary: £15,000 to £30,000

Experienced salary: £30,000 to £45,000

You may get extra bonuses based on your personal or company performance.

Your salary package may include a car, fuel allowance, and pension and insurance benefits.

These figures are a guide.

30 to 40

You’ll usually work standard office hours, Monday to Friday, but may need to work some evenings and weekends.

You’ll be office-based or work from home, but you’ll spend a lot of your time visiting people in their homes or commercial premises.

You’ll usually cover a set geographical region. 

You’ll sometimes visit sites within a few hours of an accident, fire, train crash or earthquake, which could be stressful.

You may need to wear safety clothing on some sites.

With experience, you could specialise in a particular type of claim, move into management, or work overseas for a global business.

You could become self-employed and work freelance. If you become a chartered loss adjuster, you could set up your own practice and run your own company.

You could join the Chartered Institute of Loss Adjusters for professional development and training opportunities.

You can find out more about working and training in loss adjusting through the Chartered Institute of Loss Adjusters and the Chartered Insurance Institute.

Skills required and how your skills match up

What skills are required?

You'll need:

  • customer service skills
  • to be thorough and pay attention to detail
  • the ability to accept criticism and work well under pressure
  • knowledge of English language
  • patience and the ability to remain calm in stressful situations
  • the ability to work well with others
  • the ability to use your initiative
  • excellent verbal communication skills
  • to be able to use a computer and the main software packages competently
My top 5 skills from the skills bank
Please sign in to compare your skills to this job. Sign in

To save or view your choices and results you must sign in or register (takes 1 minute).

Sign in Register