Are you interested in living and working by the sea?
Can you see yourself being part of the UK's vast fishing industry?
If so, then a job in a fishing related career could be for you!
- In 2017 97% of households in Great Britain bought seafood, with their total purchases estimated to be worth around £6.61bn which is 4.7% more than the previous year.
- In 2016 the UK sea fish processing industry provided around 13,554 full-time jobs across 307 units. The industry is consolidating with the number of sites reducing and average employment per site increasing over the last five years.
- The top four export markets are: France, U.S.A., Spain and the Irish Republic.
Routes into this sector
There are various types of qualifications available at different levels.
- GCSEs in English and maths will help get you into this sector. Languages could also be useful
- At 16 you could do A Levels, which are general academic subjects or develop your knowledge and skills for this sector through an apprenticeship/traineeships or through a vocational qualification,
- At 18 or 19 you could do a higher education/degree level course, with 8 out of 10 A Level students choosing this pathway and half of all BTEC National students. However there are also other routes into your chosen career - through apprenticeships and vocational qualifications.
There are jobs in this sector where you can start with few qualifications and receive training on the job through an apprenticeship and others where a higher level qualification could be useful.
Use the Course Search
Use the relevant search options on our Course Search to find college and university courses as well as vacancies for apprenticeships.
More help finding courses and training
- To find out whether there is an apprenticeship training course related to fishing that might suit you.
- To search for apprenticeship vacancies available now related to fish, across England (you need a vacancy to be able to apply)
- To find apprenticeship vacancies near you. Also, there are other ways to find an apprenticeship explained here.
- To find a vocational course related to fish at a college (also check the college's website to get the latest list of courses)
- To find a university level course related to fish.
Do a free, short, online course to find out more (looks great on your CV too!)
Future Learn have lots of free, short, online courses that will improve your knowledge of this job sector and improve your chances of landing your dream job. Check out the available courses related to fish