Welcome to the Academy for Training & Development Ltd's Careerpilot pages
The Academy for Training & Development Ltd specialises in delivering work based training to people of all ages and backgrounds in the hospitality and catering industry across the Southwest. Our head office is based in Exeter and serves as a training / resource centre which is available to both learners and assessors. We understand that the hospitality industry can be demanding, therefore the training we provide is organised and flexible to meet with the requirements of both you and your employer. The courses we have on offer are government funded meaning that there is no cost to you to complete any qualifications.
In order to meet these demands Academy employs a number of training consultants, who have been recruited from within the hospitality and catering industry and have up to date knowledge and expertise.
Why Choose Academy?
- You Come First. Training is matched to your needs and requirements and you will be involved and kept up to date with all aspects of your training.
- Experienced Trainers. Academy's trainers have worked in the hospitality industry for many years and therefore understand the demands of hospitality and can offer you business related expertise and advice.
- Quality Matters. Our training will make a real and positive improvement to your knowledge and future career prospects because of our high standards of delivery, training, assessment and reporting.
- We're Local and Flexible. Our trainers live and work locally to you so are on hand to assist / deal with any queries you may have. Appointments will be during work hours at times that suit both you and your employer.
- 1 to 1. You will recieve 1 to 1 training, support and guidance and you will deal with the same (one) trainer from sign-up to completion of their training.
- Innovative Style. we use a range of training and assessment methods including the loan of IT equipment (e.g. Laptop) and interactive support material which reduces the time it takes to complete a qualification.
What Qualifications does Academy have to Offer?
- Professional Cookery
- Food Production and Cooking
- Kitchen Services
- Food and Beverage Service
- Hospitality Services (Multi Skilled)
- Hospitality Supervision
- Hospitality Management
- Front Office Reception
- Cleaning and Support Services
We also offer:
- Team Leading
- Customer Service
- Business Administration
*These qualifications are subject to additional eligibility.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who will I be trained by?
Your primary trainer will be your employer and Academy will be your secondary trainer. Your employer will generally provide the practical skills to cover the competence elements of the qualification. Academy assist to fill in any gaps / or cover units the employer is unable to and teach the theory / knowledge element and additional components of the apprenticeship framework.
What is the role of Academy?
Academy are there to support, compliment and fill in any gaps to the practical training experience provided by the employer. They provide the knowledge and develop skills and are tasked by the government to manage the training process and to ensure that the national quality standards and good practises are met by evaluating and assessing the training and undertaking the testing aspect of the apprenticeship.
Where is the Training undertaken?
Training is mainly delivered on employers premises. But there may be times where the learner is asked to attend Academy offices or a mutual venue to undertake theoretical aspects of the training programme or testing.
When will visits take place?
Academy always endeavours to make appointments at times that suit your business. Visits are usually arranged at quiet times, before shifts starts or at the end of shifts however, there may be times when we arrange a visit during peak business hours. This is because it's a prime time to collect evidence. We may also arrange visits on a learners day off, if they are slow in progress.
How often do Academy visit and how long are visits?
Academy aims to see all learners every 4 - 6 weeks and usually last for 2 - 3 hours but may vary depending on the task undertaken.
When can training start?
Unlike colleges, Academy recruit all year round, as soon as a learner has met the eligibility criteria for funding and completed the relevant paper work (application, funding documents and assessments) training commences.
How long does the training take?
Training someonw who is 16 - 19 years of age takes a minimum of 12 months if they are on the apprenticeship scheme and sometimes longer depending on the qualification. Older learners vary between 6 - 12 months, again depending on the qualification.