Your choices at 16
Help with choosing your post 16 options
A good place to start planning your post 16 options is to think of these three questions.
Where am I now? (What qualifications, skills, and interests do I have?)
Where do I want to get to? (What would I like to be doing in 5 years time – job, living away from home.etc.?)
How will I get there? (What course, training or future job is likely to get you where you want to go?)
Of course, at 16, young people don't necessarily know the answer to all these questions, but now is the time to start exploring information about careers, jobs and courses.
If you really aren't sure about what you want to do in the future then 'stay broad' - do a broad range of subjects, so that you can decide later!
Things to help you choose
- See the Useful links to help with choosing section of Careerpilot to find lots of information to help you make your post 16 choices
- Explore the A-Levels section
- Explore the apprenticeships section
- Explore the Vocational Qualifications section
- Explore HE at 18/19 or later section
- For information on how to choose A-Levels and the things to consider
- See information from the Russell Group of universities on how to choose your A-level subjects
- information about whether a BTEC is for you
- information on job sectors.
- information about different qualifications and their levels.
- Explore opportunitities to volunteer.
- Do the Prospects quiz and see what jobs your quiz results suggest might be of interest to you and explore routes into them.
- If you would like to get online or telephone advice from a careers adviser you can click this link to access an adviser from the National Careers Service
UCAS Progress allows young people between 13 and 17 years old to search for courses across England and Wales. Please be aware that not all courses are shown on UCAS Progress so you should still check a provider's own website.
The icould buzz quiz is a fun way to discover your strengths and get an idea of a few job areas that might suit you.
What do you think about Careerpilot?
A £10 Amazon Voucher could be yours!